COVID Colab is a fundraising compilation album featuring 33 of New Zealand's finest musicians who worked on it together (but apart) during Levels 4 and 3 of NZ's Covid-19 lockdown.
It was funded by Wellington Museum and put together by Wellington Museum's Programme Developer, Benjamin James during his own working lockdown.
To get each track started, an initial handful of Pōneke-based musicians were selected by James and given a simple set of guidelines. In the spirit of a good old-fashioned pass-the-parcel colab, each musician added their bit and forwarded it to the next musician to develop it further.
The end result is a gender-balanced 7-track LP featuring musicians from many of our favourite bands including — Trinity Roots, The Phoenix Foundation, Bachelorette, The Nudge, Electric Wire Hustle, Orchestra of Spheres, French for Rabits, Stef Animal, Dawn Diver, Estére, Nikita Tu-Bryant, Spartacus R, The Pyramid Scheme — and oh so many more. It was mixed and mastered at The Surgery by the legendary 'Doctor' Lee Prebble.
- Born Aloft (Al Fraser, Ruby mae Hinepunui Solly, Michelle Velvin, Milo Meldrum, Nikau Te Huki)
- Defy (Maz Hermon, Nikita Tu-Bryant, Johnny Lawrene, Deanne Krieg, Jonathan Nott)
- Glass Mountain (Benjamin James, Caroline Bay, Tom Watson, Annabel Alpers, Samuel Scott)
- Counting Down The Days (Ryan Prebble, Erica Grant, Ben Lemi, Estere Dalton, Flo Wilson, Cass Basil)
- The Phone Call (Samuel Scott, Caroline Bay, Stef Animal, Anita Clark, Benjamin James)
- Disguise (David Randall Peters, Peter Hamilton, Ayrton Foote, Rachelle Eastwood, Letitia Mackenzie)
Precipice (Brooke Singer, Anna Edgington, Ben Lemi, Deanne Krieg, Grayson Gilmour)